Welcome to My Modest Blog!

I've always been a crafty person. I love the visual arts and just like to create things. I tend to stare at each item in awe when it is complete... thinking "I made this!?" Call me a hopeless romantic, but the old days had it right in many ways, including traditional homemaking. I've been hobby sewing and crafting since I was a little girl. But in recent years, I found it necessary to sew clothes for my girls to keep them modestly dressed. While nursing my babies, I began making nursing covers for myself and friends. I've also done furniture restoration, crocheting, baking, painting/drawing, photography and more. Enjoying these feminine crafts and other projects has made me want to share my ideas and talents.

I hope to provide you with great ideas and quality products that will "keep you covered!" Some items will be available at an Etsy Shop. Also enjoy my tips and examples on this blog!

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Baptism Gowns

Edwards Baptism Gown by Mommy

Our children have worn a variety of baptismal (christening) gowns. All beautiful and sentimental in their own way. Our children have traditionally been baptized by my dad, Deacon Papa. Our fifth child will be Baptized in April, and I really want to witness to our family how special this sacrament is.

The gown is worn to represent their newly clean soul and clean start with life in Christ. This event is just as amazingly special as a First Communion or Marriage, but often seems downplayed in the faith communities we've been a part of. We finally found a parish that takes the ceremony up a notch with song and old tradition. Hence my reasoning to sew a new heirloom gown for our son.

Here are the gowns in our family...

Baby 1: Girl
Gown: 50 year old fraternal grandfather's gown, crocheted and cotton underdress with sheer embroidered overlay.
Cost: Free

Baby 1 Baptism GownMikayla Anna Michalek baptism

Baby 2: Boy
Gown: New jersey cotton romper set from JC Penny, a tux look with bow tie.
Cost: about $25
Baby 2 BaptismStanleys Baptism

Baby 3: Girl
Gown: My baptism dress (28yo), white cotton with pink rosebuds and matching bonnet
Cost: Free
Baby 3 Baptism DressBaby 3 Baptism

Baby 4: Boy
Gown: Maternal grandfather's satin gown (about 60 yo) sewn by my grandmother (worn by 3 generations), and the cotton romper of baby 2
Cost: Free
Jonathan Bruce - Baptism (22)Jonathans Baptism
Jonathan 2 months old

My daughter saw some fabric and thought I should make one, so I did!
JUST FINISHED SEWING TODAY…

Baby 5: Boy
Gown: Homemade by me, Mommy! Bridal heavy satin, sheer with embroidered crosses, and crocheted lace trim. Added pearl buttons.
Cost: $25 in materials, 4 hours time
Edwards Baptism Gown by Mommy
Edwards Baptism Gown by Mommy - front buttons
Edwards Baptism Gown by Mommy - buttons
Edwards Baptism Gown by Mommy

just praying it still fits him this nice in a month :)

Why didn't I do this earlier? Mostly because I was lacking in experience back then. So happy to gift this to my son and future grandchildren! Now I realize I NEED to get a serger sewing machine. It would really clean up the inside seams, especially the sleeves. I was so happy that the cost was only $25, considering the gowns I've seen online can cost upwards of $150-$400! I got the same heirloom look for so much less.

Simplicity Pattern #5813 with my own modifications.
http://www.simplicity.com/p-2270-babies-christening-gowns.aspx

Got the pattern on sale at JoAnn Etc for $1! This is a great start, then look online for more ideas how others use wedding gowns for fabric. When it comes to unisex gowns... To make it for boy or girl, have a frilly bonnet for girl and a cap for the boy. I chose to not add a collar and to add darting to the front for more texture. You might also make a satin coat or a add a clip bowtie for a boy, and have a lacey sweater for a girl.



UPDATE: It was just lovely...
http://stbrigidsacademy.blogspot.com/2012/04/edward-baptism.html





Do you have a family baptism gown that is passed on? What does it look like?

**BAPTISM PREP IDEAS HERE**

10 comments:

baby christening dresses said...

Our christening wear range includes many beautiful silk and satin garments including christening gowns and dresses

Our Catholic Family said...

Mine have all worn the same gown. Our priest had the idea of having their names and baptism dates embroidered on the shawl. I love the gown, but it's a boy gown and after three boys I have my first girl. I've been looking at gowns since my ultrasound and she's four weeks now and still haven't found anything.

After this I realize it's probably because I don't have anything with the memories attached like the boys' gown. I do have an old blouse of my grabdmother's with lace on it. I wonder if I could have it made into a gown off etsy..hmmm...thank u for sharing :) I loved al the ideas!

Catherine said...

I came across your website (Divine Intervention perhaps?) and love the beautiful gown you made for your son. Is this a pattern we can buy? Or can you direct me to where we can find it? We are expecting our third grandchild in June and I am donating my wedding gown to be used to make the gown. My aunt is making it for us (later she will use whatever is left from my wedding gown to make our granddaughter's 1st Holy Communion dress). We don't know whether we will be blessed this time with another boy or girl so wanted to find something that could go either way. Hopefully you can point us in the right direction.

Thanks,

Catherine

Melissa @ Modest Mommies said...

Simplicity Pattern #5813 with my own modifications.
http://www.simplicity.com/p-2270-babies-christening-gowns.aspx

Got the pattern on sale at JoAnn Etc for $1! This is a great start, then look online for more ideas how others use wedding gowns for fabric. When it comes to unisex gowns... To make it for boy or girl, have a frilly bonnet for girl and a cap for the boy. I chose to not add a collar and to add darting to the front for more texture. You might also make a satin coat or a add a clip bowtie for a boy, and have a lacey sweater for a girl.

My son was only mistaken for a girl by a couple of strangers at the Baptism liturgy. But he was my handsome prince none the less.

I'd love to see the finished outfit when it's done! What a gift they'll be getting from the proud Grandma.
Melissa

Lacy @ Catholic Icing said...

Love all the gowns! Working on planning Anabelle's Baptism right now. :-)

joannamae31 said...

Awesome baby's gown. The baby was so elegant in her images. The family was so happy on her baptism day. Congratulation to the family and baby. Welcome to the christian world. God Bless you. Thanks f0r sharing.
A webmaster of taufe baby

Unknown said...

Great dress! Congrats on the baptism.
Baptism Clothes

Anonymous said...

We did it a little different! We adopted our daughter when she was older at age 13 years old. We are catholic and decided to baptize and christen her as an infant in the infant baptism program at our parish.We had a beautiful,white baptism gown and matching bonnet made for her,then did the white tights and white mary jane shoes.to be more traditional,we did a cloth diaper with the rubberpants over it under her tights and then a plain white under shirt.she had a pacifier attached to the front of her gown and carried a baby blanket as well.she looked cute and precious as a 'baby girl'she is mow 14 and i still put the diaper,rubberpants and tights on her for special occasions and holidays.

LITTLE JEMS said...

That's an interesting post. It was worth visiting your blog. Hope to visit again.

Anonymous said...

We have a newly adopted 12 year old daughter whom we just got back in january and due to a bladder issue,she is in diapers.We baptized and christened her yesterday,easter sunday,at easter mass.We had a just below the knees gown made for her with the poofy shoulders and lace down the front and a matching bonnet.We did white tights and white 'mary jane'shoes with the gown and bonnet.Instead of her normal disposable diaper under her tights,we did a cloth diaper with rubberpants over it under the tights with a white tee shirt as her top.Everyone at her party thought she looked very cute and infant like.

Related Posts with Thumbnails